Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chocoholic Frolic 10K and running costumes!

I completed the Chocoholic Frolic 10K yesterday with friends Karen and Sadie-jo and friends Billie and Heather did the 5K (their first run, yay!!!).  Here is a short sweet recap of that - it was cold and I put on too many clothes and I was boiling half way through the first of two laps and had to shed some layers. I decided to run with a pacer this time (they have a person or two that runs at a certain pace throughout so you can finish at a certain time) and I chose the 1 hour pace group which was a little bit of a stretch as my last 10K time was 1 hour and 3 minutes. Sadie-jo and Karen chose the 53 minute pacer. I stayed with them through the whole first lap and then in the middle of the second lap around the lake I lost them when I had to walk up a giant hill and I never caught up. By the way I had a personal record and I finished in 1 hour and 2 minutes so I'll take that! Afterwards we had the best warm chocolate in a cup and plenty of goodies to dip in it. Seriously, best ever! Also, I haven't seen my race photos yet but as soon as they are, I'll post to show you how I did!

Here is a photo of us after the race!

So you'll notice that I've got on some ridiculous stockings and a sparkle skirt (and notice Karen's lovely sparkle skirt too - she MAKES her own!). When you run the Princess Half marathon not only are costumes allowed, but they are encouraged! And now I'm totally hooked. This was my attempt at Mr. Mint from Candyland but because it was cold I had to add a layer over my white shirt with fake starlight mints attached to it (thanks Amanda!). I love to wear costumes and most of all I love running skirts.  They are my new obsession. Here is my look from last month's Get Lucky 7K (a St. Patty's Day theme).
My friend Karen is crafty and I'm jealous that she knows how to make her own but I'm not even a little bit crafty so I get mine from Team Sparkle where they have tons of colors and they are $25 with free shipping. There is also another great place called Sparkle Skirts but these are much more expensive and I while I've heard amazing things, I haven't been able to pay that much for a skirt. They are much less sheer than Team Sparkle but it doesn't matter to me because I always wear something underneath anyway, and they are a bit longer. They even have some with the shorts attached to the skirt which would be nice.

I've got some upcoming races so I'm now trying to figure out if I should wear costumes or skirts to any of them. I've got the Race For the Cure which will totally be a pink skirt, the Bloomington Women's 5K and I can re-use said pink skirt, the Go Commando mud run and I'm thinking about either a camo skirt (with pink in it of course) or a Wonder Woman inspired outfit. But probably not these shorts - the Wonder Booty shorts.

I am bummed out because I'm doing a half marathon that runs right through Lambeau Field (Go Packers!!) and I'm dying to wear a Packers outfit but I looked at the photos from last year and no one else seems to be doing this. So I'm going to wear a plain old black Nike running skirt with a shirt that says "I run half marathons. I'm lazy that way" that I got from One More Mile. This place is one of my faves too and they sell shirts with very funny running slogans on them.

So now you've got plenty of places to go if you're interested in running skirts. Pinterest has lots of great running costume ideas as well if you're interested. I'll leave you with a final photo from the Chocoholic Frolic if you think that I'm crazy for dressing up. These people did me one better and they dressed (and RAN) as full on Oompa Loompas! Genius!!

No comments:

Post a Comment