Thursday, April 4, 2013

Race Photos

Today I would like to talk about race photos! For those of you that are new to running let me explain a little about these dastardly things. I’ve done 5Ks and 10Ks (one 7K) and one half marathon. The race organizers typically hire a photography company that takes sports photos. Photographers are strategically placed along the course to capture action shots of runners. These photos are then placed on the company’s website where you have the option to buy them. It sounds like a great idea doesn’t it? As runners we should really be proud of all of our accomplishments and show off our photos whether it’s a short run or a long run…either way we’re out there running!! If you are lucky and you’re looking for the photographers, you will get a shot like this ridiculously handsome guy running.


However, I do not have great luck with race photos. I am a hideous runner at best. My face gets red, I have a tendency to look down at the ground so my eyes always look like they’re closed, I slouch a bit, my hands are in a weird position (I’m working on this) and it looks like my feet never leave the ground. For some reason I NEVER, EVER see the photographers so I when I go to the website to see if there are any decent photos of me…this is what I get.
Look at the girl next to me. She was clearly looking at the photographer and she looks happy to be finishing her half marathon. And then there's me.


At the half marathon I was even trying to look for them but I missed most of them so all of my shots look like I’m about to die. I did manage to get a few decent race photos there but even some of the ones that I posed for look ridiculous. I had even practiced several potential poses but then when I actually saw the photographers I forgot everything and chose to give the thumbs up instead. Ugh. So I guess this race photo thing will continue to be a work in progress.

So here are some suggestions (trust me, these are not tried and true because I have yet to get any really good photos).
1.       Be aware. Look at your surroundings so you will notice the photographers. I tend to zone out and miss them every time.
2.       When you see them, practice your best running form and look like you’re hauling ass. Then maybe I won’t look like I’m shuffling my feet in all of my photos.
3.       Smile! Even though you feel like hell, just muster a smile for that brief second and you’ll be glad you did when you’re looking through photos.

Those are all of the suggestions I have for today. Let me know if they worked! I’m doing a 10K this weekend and I’ll test my theories and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment